Friday, April 15, 2011

If I Can't Laugh About It - Who Can?

It's no secret that I laugh and joke about the fact that my husband is legally blind.  He and I both do really.  We've come to the conclusion that we can either laugh about it and move on, or we can be the sad saps that everyone expects us to be.  So we move on.  But it intrigues me how people chastise me for making a joke of it, or making light of the situation, when they ask me about it.  I'm not really sure what they expect.  Some say that it's incredibly inconsiderate and un-PC, which just shows how little they really know me.  Others just pat me on the shoulder and tell me how very sorry they are and how strong or mature I am, as most couples wouldn't survive such a tragedy; which is a double insult since 1.) you apparently thought so little of me and the relationship I have with my husband, and 2.) I don't need your pity. 

So let's cover the facts: 

  • My husband is, and has been, legally blind since Oct. 22, 2009.
  • My father still tries to hand him the keys to drive and still asks him what's coming when he's the passenger.
  • We all still have to remember that he can't see it when we give non-verbal responses - You can imagine how many times I screw this up.  lol. 
  • We find it funny when people get antsy and ask "What are you, blind?" and R. always responds, "well, yea...actually."  The look on their faces hasn't gotten old yet and the hesitation in their voice is just as amusing to R. 
  • We would like to think that the warning signs for "Blind Drive" means that it just might be possible for him to give it a try or at least an option for the opportunity. 
  • "OMG - did you see that?....oh wait no...I guess you didn't." still happens often with us and we still laugh and move on. 
  • He threatens, pokes, whacks, and aggravates me w/ that white cane and I always threaten back saying, "I'm not like the people who apologize when you accidentally hit them, I will snatch it away and whack you back," to which he still chuckles about.
  • The only people that think that R. is disabled is probably you and, as soon as the paperwork is through, the government. We prefer to say differently-abled.  He still does pretty much everything he's always done.....just a little differently and with more time now than he used to. 
  • We are still a normal couple that likes to pick and aggravate each other, we just get to tease each other in ways that other couples can't.  We don't do it in a mean spirited way and we always laugh about it. 
  • It's ok to use the word "see" when you're around.  We don't get offended by it and people usually look silly trying to avoid it. 
  • We laugh a lot about various things, we make fun and laugh a lot about every day situations that we encounter that are more difficult due to his low-vision. 
  • We laugh and find joy in our everyday life.
  • We choose to see past the hard times, the pain, and the uncomfortable situations with a smile and/or a laugh.
  • I promise you that you won't hear me say anything about it that I haven't already said to him and I can pretty much guarantee you that the jokes we make together are way worse.
  • We laugh - we don't expect your pity, your sympathy, or your issues with how we choose to deal. 
  • We laugh - and those who are close enough friends to be a part of our family join us in our laughter and toss in their own jokes and jabs in the process. 

I have one friend that told R. that she was upset that he wouldn't be able to see her well enough on her wedding day to see just how beautiful she is so she was going to have to get a braille dress. We continue to laugh.

Laughter may not always be the best medicine, but it's definitely one that gets you through the hard times and lets you come out on the other with a better perspective.

So what would you do in our situation?  Would you choose to laugh, or let the world fall in around you?  Would you still be with your significant other or would you have ran for the door?  Would you move on with life or would you wear a chip on your shoulder for all the world to see?

What would you do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm ashamed to say that from the beginning that you & R both showed more faith in the Lord's doings than I. He's brought you through, and though at times it seemed that he wasn't, He's always been there. I often think about the words in "The Parent's Prayer" that I sung at your wedding where it says "And help us to trust You, when we don't see You quickly meeting their needs." I love you both and admire you at the same time for your strength and trust in God, your love for one another, and your light-heartedness at the situation. Yes, I'm disappointed that you didn't get to come home this weekend, but the gas prices as they are I truly understand. And besides, we've just had to really let go of you both, and it's your time to fly. You were here with us for 2 years after you married. We shouldn't expect you to come home "every little whip-stitch" as Granny used to say. Now when we get a grandbaby that will be expected to change to every-other week.....LOL! I love you Baby....take care of my son-in-law!