Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bathroom Mini Makeover

This isn't my typical blog post.  But since I haven't posted in over a year and I felt like sitting down and writing I thought I'd share something a little different. Thus far 2014 has been thankfully calm and, within the usual chaos we call life, we have managed to do a few things here and there so that we may be able to enjoy our environment a little more.  We are big supporters of doing the little things so that the bigger things don't stack up.  This applies both to relationships and things around the house.  So when we find something around the house we would like to improve in some way we usually make an effort to make those changes together.  The only exceptions to this are the rooms that we consider our own.  For me it is my office/crafting space and for R. it is his loft/game room.  We help each other to achieve the desired look, hang items, and provide an alternate perspective or idea, but the set up is person specific. 

As many of you know, we moved house Aug. 1, 2013 and the next day football camp started.  Needless to say we still have things to do.  Slowly but surely we are getting things around the house unpacked, cleaned, and organized the way we want.  Now that football and wrestling seasons are over, and I have an entire month of being able to leave work after final bell and weekends free, I should be able to devote more time to getting things settled and organized in a manner that is suited for us both.  I know those who are local are ready for me to have a party or some sort of gathering, but we are not there yet but I'm hopeful for the summer.  Those of you who are distant have gotten glimpses through pictures posted on Facebook or Twitter through Instagram, and some of you have actually been by to visit.  For those of you who I don't know personally, I figure you are probably like me and just enjoy seeing what other people do with their spaces so that you can gather your own ideas.  So as we get spaces done and up to snuff I will try to post the pictures. 

One of the things we, or should I say I, have been wanting to do was frame around the mirror in the master bathroom.  Having the mirror bare just made it seem unfinished and stark.  It's a small thing but gives a nice finished look with a personal touch.  So of course, thanks to Pinterest, I found an idea I liked and thought easy to implement.  However, since we are renting the house, we were told we could not make any permanent changes to the house, that included framing the mirror (yes I called and asked specifically).  With this knowledge I began searching for ways to frame out the mirror that would be easy to remove if/when we move again.  Beyond just framing it though, I also wanted some shelving between the sinks to control the chaos while still keeping in mind the need to be not permanent. 

While helping R. hang things in the loft/gamer cave/geek haven, I discovered just what I was looking for.  Command Strips!  DUH!  Why didn't I think of this before.  They pop right off with a snap, leaving no sticky mess behind, meaning things are NOT PERMANENT!  Just what I needed!   Finally I knew how I was going to achieve that finished look I wanted.

So it was with this revelation we went to Lowe's and purchased everything we would need.  Excited and determined I had my plan.  We bought the white molding and corner squares and knowing there would be a gap between the molding and the wall next to the light switch, we also purchased a 1/2 inch 1/4 round strip.  Since the strips were already white, no painting was required.  Believe it or not, the most expensive part of the purchase was the Command Strips.  Everything totaled out to be around $30.  R. was kind enough to cut and hang them while I was at work as a surprise.  It was a wonderful thing to come home and discover.  This weekend we went to S. GA and happened to stop in Alco where I found a wonderful Closetmaid© mini storage cubical.  The shelf was $15 and the baskets were $8 for a pack of two.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  It fit perfectly between the sinks without making it feel like there was a wall between them. I think the finished look makes it a warmer, more inviting environment, well worth the cost.  R. likes that he can, and plans to, arrange the baskets into various Tetris shapes.  So it's a little something for the both of us.  

We both liked the over all effect enough to go back and spend another $5 for another strip of molding and using the leftovers from the master bath we were able to do the same to the guest bath. (Now if only I could do something about that wallpaper.) Plus, should we want to redo something or move, all we have to do it snap it off with no damage to the property.  So the total cost of framing both bathroom mirrors was about $35, adding in the shelf in the master bath grand total would be approximately $65.  Cost efficient, not permanent, is reusable, creates organization and beauty - I'd say all together well worth the cost.  Not to mention the organization and ease it created makes for more sanity and easy mornings for me -- that my friend, is priceless.   


No comments: