Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hospitals, Headaches, and The Savior of Subway - AMEN!

I find myself more appreciative of Austin every day.  Naturally Austin brings a perspective of life that only comes with a dog. The boy has become an actively integrated part of our lives.  It's amazing how much at ease I am just because I know he's there.  I realize that, should something happen, there's no a lot Austin can do but he can help R. by making sure that no additional harm comes to him from others.  Austin becomes more and more affectionate the longer he's with us and even has times when he actively seeks it out.  He is comfortable enough now that he requires the leash less and less when venturing out to "park" and knows to stay by R's side even when the neighbor's cat sits taunting in the window.



A few weeks ago R. had kidney stones break loose and start moving about 1am.  It being the middle of the week, I was long ago to bed and hitting the REM state pretty hard.  When it moved R. was on the floor in so much pain his yelling was reduced to a whisper that I was unable to hear over the fans in our bedroom.  Austin came out from under his table, where he naps until R. goes to bed, to check it out and see if R. was just playing opossum or if something was going on.  Realizing that something wasn't right he began running between the bedroom and R.  R. crawled down the hall in hopes of waking me up, Austin continued to run between us nudging me each time and whining and going back to check on R.  Austin was what woke me up, but I saw him going back out the door and thought that R. had called to him to take him out.  Then, when he came back again and roused me, I woke up and moved to look over the edge of the bed at him but didn't see him, that's when I heard a whimper in the hallway and looked up to see R. on the floor.  Who knows how long it would have taken to wake me up if not for Austin.  The look of concern on Austin face was obvious and as we were quickly getting things in order to go to the ER R. said we could just leave him at home. "It's not like I can really walk and use him while we're there," he stated.  I laughed and pointed at Austin, "Do you really think I could in good conscious leave him here knowing how worried he obviously is and not knowing how long we'll be gone? No, I'm grabbing his harness and lunchbox and he's going with us."  Austin was perfect at the hospital and likewise the hospital was welcoming and accommodating.  St. Mary's Hospital here in Athens was familiar with the protocol for service animals and a nurse was kind enough to even bring Austin a blanket so he wouldn't have to lay on the cold floor.  We did however, figure out that we need to have an emergency pack ready for Austin in case of another ER visit.  Austin was so worried that he started trying to gnaw on the blanket they provided for him at the hospital.  After he was reprimanded several times for it he began chewing his nails.  So Austin now has his own emergency pack that includes a chew toy.  Hope we never have to use it, but it's here just in case. 

There are those who may be confused by the fact that R was willing to leave Austin at home.  What some people don't realize is that Austin is very much like a child. He gets restless, he gets excited, he gets tired and ill so there are times that it's just better and/or easier to leave him home. I wasn't willing to do that because in this instance I could see that Austin was as worried and scared as I was and I knew I wouldn't want to sit at home and wait anymore than he did.  But there are times that it's better for him and or R. for him to hang back.  It helps R. make sure he keeps his cane skills intact and sometimes to make sure Austin gets his rest as well.  There are many reasons someone may leave their guide dogs at home, but it doesn't mean that the guide dog is any less useful or unnecessary.  If we are going somewhere R. is familiar with, or where he knows he's going to just be hanging out not doing much, and/or won't be back until late, it's sometimes best to leave Austin at home to rest and/or be less of a distraction.

For example, this past weekend R. went to hang out with his brother, who lives w/ his mom, late one night after dinner. We knew we wouldn't be back until 12-1 am and it was a place R. knew well enough that even I could walk around blindfolded, so in this instance, assistance wasn't needed.

But there are also times that we do things that are wholly for Austin.  We are firm believers that Austin helps take care of us and brings us laughter daily, so we make sure that he gets pampered on occasion and has a good time when he can.  Austin had a couple of new fun experiences last weekend that were all about him. On Friday he had his first experience riding in a convertible. He thoroughly enjoyed it. So we figured we'd give him a chance at riding in the back of a truck. He LOVED it. After church Sunday, before our yearly family gathering, my dad took him for his first ride. When they got back to the house and Austin saw me it was like he was trying to tell me about his ride. He ran up to me dancing, turning circles, and running back and forth like a maniac between R. and me as if to say "OMG it was amazing and awesome, come on R. tell her!" I just laughed asking, "Well did you have fun?" to which he responded by jumping up and running circles around me. I'd call that an absolute yes he had an amazing time. So we got him to settle down but knew that after so much excitement getting him to lay still under a table in a room of 30+ strangers, large quantities of food, some of which may fall on the floor, would be a job that diminished the ability to visit with family we only see once a year. The family gathering was also held at the church we have attended since before we married and in which we were married. I'd classify it as a familiar place. So again we left Austin home to simply enjoy the afterglow of his adventure.

Now understand, thanks to my profession, I read body language so well that people often think I understand foreign languages or have an acute ability to read lips.  But because of this I can tell almost all I need to know about a person by how they respond to R. and Austin. This past week has been a lesson on quite a few people. As usual some of my thoughts may or may not prick a few nerves, and I may or may not be referring to you, but as I've often said, if something I say bothers you, weather I'm talking about you or not, you are the one that should ask yourself why it bothered you in the first place and what you've done to make you feel guilty.  But I digress...

Most of the family wanted to know where "the baby" was while it seemed a few took an accusatory tone that Austin wasn't with us like maybe R. isn't blind enough. R. has so far held his tongue but good grief, he did manage for a year and a half without even the use the white cane and nearly 2 years without Austin. I understand that maybe some just don't know, but I'm a firm believer in the concept of 'if you don't know then politely ask' and believe me we will be glad to educate. But there is no need to be rude. Austin is an asset to both R. and me, but blind people have been successful and independent for years before dogs were used as guides. The dogs that become guides/leaders are a blessing and an asset to any family who uses them, however they are not a requirement. There will always be places that a person who is blind or low visioned prefers to go without using their guide. There will always be things they do where they'd prefer to leave their partner home, either for their partner's benefit or their own. There are even places that, even though guide dogs are allowed, many will not bring them out of respect (i.e. a tour of a food factory or something of the sort). But for Pete's sake don't take an accusatory tone about my husband and Austin just because you're ignorant and/or uneducated. Lord knows we've seen plenty of that this week....but I'll get to that soon enough.

Wednesday R. took Austin out to the tennis courts behind our apartments for a romp and park as usual and the two were on their way back home when R. had another of his knee dropping headaches.  As R. dropped to the ground Austin stepped behind R. leaning on his back to help support and prop him up so he wouldn't be laying on the ground.  R. said he sat there for about 10 minutes on the grass behind the apartment, propped up on, or with, Austin before he was able to get to his feet again.  When I got home from work Austin was as usual excited to see me but was more persistent to rub up against me and play to a point that I eventually just sat in the floor.  Instead of jumping up on me, as he typically would, he rubbed up against me and laid between my legs just wanting to be rubbed on for a few minutes.  He got back up to grab a toy to play for a minute but before long he was back sitting in my lap, something he's never done before.  I mentioned to R. that it was unusual and that's when he told me what happened. Austin was looking for a bit of comfort.  He was worried about R and this time instead of biting his nails he was seeking solace and I was only too happy to give him all the attention he needed at that point.  Not that he doesn't get it anyway. 

It always seems however, that all the really crazy things happen when I'm not around.  Although admittedly it's probably for the best.  Yesterday, R decided he wanted Subway for dinner so he and Austin walked over to buy a sandwich.  Once he arrived there was a line to the door so he and Austin found their place in line to wait.  The very large woman in front of him, who managed to have somehow acquired Joseph's amazing techno colored dream coat paired with gold lipstick and hoops the size of 20"s, apparently didn't approve of having a dog of any sort in such a fine dining establishment.  After R. and Austin had stalked her through the line has it moved forward she finally had enough and turned to face the offenders and proceeded to tell R. that he needed to take that mutt out of there because animals weren't allowed in food related businesses.  Robby pointed out that the mutt she was referring to was a service animal and allowed into any establishment that he was allowed into.  If you know R. you know it takes a lot to get a rile out of him but she continued to verbally bash R. and Austin until finally he retorted with a few slurs of his own.  At that point, she called the attention of the police officer who just happened to be in line, "Hey, Mr. Popo!  You need to come get this man and his damn mutt and get them out of this restaurant."

The officer apparently gave her a look that implied she was obviously an idiot that even R. could make it out on his face, and from his place in line simply stated, "Ma'am, I obviously can't do that.  This dog is obviously a service animal and by law is allowed into this and any other establishment that he wishes."

"Well if you aren't going to do anything about it, then I'll just remove the mutt myself!"  At this point this Amazonian throwback proceeded to grab the lower part of Austin's leash where it attaches at the slip collar and attempt to drag him to the door, essentially choking him. 

R. popped her hand which she quickly removed stepping back and before he could get a word out the officer had stepped over and said, "Ma'am you just assaulted the dog, which is an assault against this man. Sir, would you like to press charges?"

The woman gaped in disbelief as R. responded, "No Sir, but I will ask that she be removed from the premises," at which point the officer did just that, informing the woman that she wasn't allowed back at any point in the foreseeable future.  Afterward the officer apologized to R. for the "interruption of your day," and went back to his place in line.  Needless to say I'd have pressed charges and then some.  Like I said, maybe it's a good thing I wasn't there after all. 

On a positive family note though, LG is coming around. It's nice to know I don't have to categorize him with the "Savior of Subway."  He still doesn't' have a full understanding of it all but he's asking questions and gaining a better understanding of just what Austin does for us. We obviously still find those who are condescending and just can't fathom. I'd pray they eventually gain understanding but the last few people I've prayed that for ended up having to experience something similar in order to understand and I wouldn't wish anyone the struggle and burdens it would take for them to understand what it's like to need a dog in your life so I'll just pray, "Lord, help'em 'cause you know what they need more than I do. But until they can be more considerate Lord, please help to limit my required socialization time with such ignorance. AMEN!






Note: For all those keeping tabs, we will be going to Mayo Clinic in a few weeks for tests in an attempt to figure out what's causing the headaches.  Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we travel and that the doctors will find answers.  It will be another adventure for Austin I am sure as he is very aware of what a hospital/doctors office is and is in no way a fan.  Thanks in advance! _\m/

No comments: